Friday, September 12, 2008

Ego Check

I know, I know. Two posts in one day. It's a good thing I have a magical job that allows me to work only 12 hours a week. That way I have an ample amount of time to spend on my acting, writing, & producing jobs that currently make me little to no money. But someday, right? SOMEDAY!

So we've shot "Get A Clue". And we're currently editing it. I'm really enjoying the editing process. It's the first time that I've been in the editing room for something that I've written & acted in. And I'll tell you something. It definitely knocks your ego down a few thousand pegs.

There are lines/scenes that you thought would make people pee their pants. And then they can't even make you chuckle. They just don't work the way you imagined them in your head. And the best part is, it's YOUR fault because you're starring in it! So you can't even blame an actor's bad line read.

Then there is the whole aspect of watching yourself onscreen over & over again. From different angles. Sometimes unflattering angles. My character in "Get A Clue" is named Lindy Langley. She's sweet, naive, silly, idiotic, & totally self-UNaware. Oh, and she's CONSTANTLY eating & has no real sense of sexuality. My initial idea for Lindy was that she grew up in an orphanage (because her parents were killed by a rhino while on a safari). While living in the orphanage she wasn't allowed to watch any TV except for "I Love Lucy" & "Leave It To Beaver" so she grew up with a warped, 1950s take on life. I love Lindy Langley. I seriously do. But BOY OH BOY do I look unattractive when I play her. Or more specifically, when we freeze frame on me during one of my many "Lindy eats something" scenes.

The verdict: acting in your own writing projects is both a joy & a curse. Today it's a joy. :-)

No comments: